The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
Every season brings its own set of adventures, holidays, and, yes, chores! Home maintenance may seem daunting, but fear not; we’ve got your back. This Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist will simplify the task, so you can effortlessly tackle that honey-do list. Print this checklist and keep it handy on your fridge, so you’re always up-to-date with your home maintenance.
We suggest printing off this checklist and keeping it on your fridge. Each time a new season rolls around, use this checklist to be sure your home maintenance is up-to-date!
Fall Home Maintenance:
- Inspect & clean gutters – Ensure your gutters are free from leaves, sticks, and debris. Check that downspouts aren’t loose or clogged to ensure proper rainwater drainage away from your home.
- Fertilize the lawn – Prep your lawn for a vibrant spring by fertilizing and treating it for weeds before winter sets in
- Repair driveway cracks – To stay cozy during winter, consider having a professional clean and prepare your HVAC system. This service can save you money and prevent future frustrations.
- Change A/C filters – Regularly replace air conditioning filters to maintain air quality and energy efficiency.
Winter Home Maintenance:
- Electrical maintenance tune-up – Have an electrician inspect your breaker panel, switches, outlets, cords, and light bulbs. Ensure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries.
- Seal leaky doors & windows –Stop cold drafts and pests by weather-stripping doors and windows. This helps conserve energy and keep your home cozy.
- Sweep the chimney – Before lighting your fireplace, ensure it’s clean and safe. Creosote buildup is a fire hazard, so prioritize safety.
- Tune up your HVAC system – If you want to stay warm and cozy all winter, it might be a good time for you to call a professional to get everything cleaned and ready for the cold weather. Again, this type of inexpensive service call could save you a lot of money and frustration in the future.
- Change A/C filters –Yep, trust us, it’s time to do it again!
Spring Home Maintenance:
- Check the roof for leaks –You don’t want the elements finding their way inside during those crazy Texas storms! Look for missing or loose shingles and make sure the flashings are sealed properly. It’s also a good idea to check for any damage squirrels/pests may have caused while trying to get into your attic. You may consider calling in a professional for this since it can be a dangerous job to climb up there and get a good look. Most roofing companies will do inspections at low or no cost to you!
- Check faucets for leaks –Before you hook up the garden hose, make sure those outdoor faucets are working properly. Even a slow leak can add significant cost to your water bill.
- Pressure wash the patio –Start with a clean slate before you bring out the patio furniture. Don’t forget to check the corners for bugs or pests trying to make their home in your space!
- Trim the trees and shrubs – Are you ready to win Yard of the Month?! Keeping trees and shrubs trimmed doesn’t just make the landscaping look better, it also helps make sure your lawn gets proper sunlight and keeps your roof protected. If your trees are large, you may consider having a professional come do this job. They know how to properly trim each type of tree, plus they will haul off all the limbs and clean up any leftover debris!
- Fertilize the lawn –Fertilize for growth and don’t forget to treat for weeds. It’s also a great time to spread grass seed in any bare/shady areas of your lawn.
- Spray for bugs –They’re about to come out in full force! Treating your lawn and the inside of your home in advance is key to preventing those pesky bugs from bothering you.
- Change A/C filter –You probably saw this coming… change those filters!
Summer Home Maintenance
- Wash all windows –Let the sunshine in! All of it. Wipe down the inside and outside of each window. Remove screens and hose them off before putting them back!
- Tune-up HVAC system – Nobody wants their air conditioning to go out in the middle of Texas summer heat. Be sure your unit is clear of all debris. You might consider having a professional give everything a quick check. Preventative maintenance is a much lower cost than an emergency repair or replacement.
- Clean the pool – Time for pool parties! Clear all debris, and make sure the water is properly treated and ready for use on those hot summer days!
- Set a watering schedule – Check your sprinkler heads to be sure everything is in working order, then set your system to run as often as your yard requires based on the type of grass and plants you have. Be sure the ground around the foundation of your home stays adequately watered as well to avoid foundation cracks or shifting during the summer months.
- Add a layer of mulch – Pull those weeds, and add some mulch to your flower beds to freshen up your landscaping! Adding extra mulch to your flower beds will help the soil to retain water during hot months. With added mulch, you should be able to water less and have happier plants.
- Sweep the chimney – You won’t be using it for a while, so make sure it’s clean and properly maintained. Calling a professional in the off-season should make it quicker to get this item checked off your list.
- Change A/C filters – Maybe you should set a reminder on your phone for this one because it’s that time again! Make sure you’ve got your filter purchased and ready to go!
Do you still feel overwhelmed? Did you find a problem while checking things off the list? Let us help! We have a list of good contractors you can trust. Each of them is backed by our $10,000 guarantee, so you can have confidence that your home is in good hands.
What are you waiting for? Visit www.TheGoodContractorsList.com to get your checklist finished, then sit back and enjoy the season!